Dental Implants: A Beautiful Fusion of Metal and Bone
Missing teeth can be unappealing since they take away the spark from your smile, in addition to challenges associated with mastication, speech, and facial structure. Thankfully, cosmetic dentistry has come a long way in providing innovative and permanent teeth replacement procedures through dental implants.
The dental implants in Dacula, GA, are of premium quality which permanently replace your missing teeth. These are responsible for a complete transformation of your facial aesthetics.
Dental implants- introduction
Dental implants are advanced artificial devices that mimic tooth roots to provide anchorage to crowns, dentures, or bridges, replacing your missing teeth. These are made up of titanium alloys that can easily fuse with the jawbone over a period of time through a process called osseointegration.
Parts of an implant:
- Fixture: The implant post itself
- Abutment: A small connector piece between the fixture and the prosthetic
- Dental prosthetic: The visible portion of the implant, which is in the form of a dental crown, bridge, or denture
Dental implants – merit
Dental implants are widely used alternatives to bridges and dentures due to the following benefits:
- Offers a permanent solution to tooth loss
- Prevents bone resorption
- Prevents malocclusion
- Enables natural speech
- Facilitates easy chewing
- Preserves adjacent teeth since they do not require support from them
- Improves your overall oral health and facial aesthetics
- Prevents premature skin sagging created by the missing space
- These are durable and last as long as 10 to 15 years
- Requires low maintenance
Dental implants – the procedure
Dental implants are an outpatient procedure performed under local anesthesia.
- Your dentist will first check your oral cavity to assess the number of missing teeth and implants required.
- Your jawbone health will be assessed through dental radiographs. It is essential to have sufficient bone density and volume to support the implant.
- You will be given local anesthesia to numb the area around your missing teeth.
- Your dentist will make an incision on your gums to gain access to the underlying jawbone.
- Using fine rotary instruments, tiny holes will be drilled in the jawbone to insert the implant post.
- A titanium screw will be inserted and secured in place to anchor a crown.
- The incisions will be closed through sutures.
- After a period of 4 to 5 months, once the implant fuses with the jawbone, oral impressions will be taken.
- These impressions will be sent to the lab for fabricating a dental crown, denture, or bridge that fits over the implant.
Dental implants are sturdy and durable artificial prostheses that replace missing teeth. These are permanent solutions that can dramatically improve your oral form, function, and facial aesthetics.